For those of you praying to find a godly spouse I offer the following….pretty smart advice if you ask me!
For 40 years Father Pat Connor, a 79 year old priest based in Bordentown, NJ, has been giving a talk to teens and young adults called “Whom Not To Marry.” Most of his listeners are girls; they tend to be more interested — but the rules work both ways.
The New York Times posted an article about him, with a summary of his message. I have summarized the summary and rephrased the “don’ts” into “do’s.” Here are the main points.
1. Marry a person who has friends; this is indication that he/she is capable of the intimacy that marriage demands.
2. Marry a person who uses money well — not stingy, but not foolish.
3. Marry a person with a backbone, not someone whose life you can run. It’s good to have a doormat in the home, but not if it’s your spouse.
4. Marry a person who is capable of making his or her own decisions.
5. Marry a person who shares your sense of humor.
6. Marry a person who is able to talk things out.
7. Marry a person with character traits that you admire.